Not a Member ? I am a:

Why do I need to provide documentation for debit card purchases?
Federal regulations require CDPHP to obtain itemized receipts for transactions that are not automatically substantiated at the point-of-sale. In the event a charge does not meet the necessary criteria, CDPHP will send a request for documentation. If you are unable to substantiate questionable debit card expenses, the card will be deactivated. The debit card will be reactivated as soon as the necessary documentation has been received to substantiate the expense.

Can I change my FSA election mid-year?
Certain qualifying events allow an employee to change an election or begin/cease participation in a plan. Common qualifying events can include marriage, divorce, birth, death, or a change in the cost of a dependent care provider.

What if I leave my place of employment?
If you separate from your employment, you may submit claims only for eligible expenses incurred through the last day of employment. Expenses incurred after this date are not eligible for reimbursement.

What happens to health care funds I don’t use?
Health FSA: Depending on your employer’s plan design, your plan may allow you to carry over up to $500 into the next plan year, or your plan may include a grace period that extends your current plan year by 77 days. Your employer also has the option to not allow either. In this case, you would forfeit any unused funds at the end of the year.
Dependent Care FSA: The dependent care FSA is a “use it or lose it” plan. Any funds not used by the end of the plan year (after the run-out period) will be forfeited.

Can I use my FSA to pay for over-the-counter (OTC) drugs?
Check with your employer to determine if they have selected prescription costs as an eligible expense. If they have, an OTC remedy would have to be prescribed by your doctor. Take the prescription to the pharmacy counter of a participating retail store when you buy the item. A prescription number must be assigned to the purchase. This way, your original purchase and refills (if any) will be eligible for payment for the item with no further need for substantiation.

I have single coverage. Can I use my FSA to pay for items for other family members?
Yes. You may use your Health FSA dollars to purchase eligible items and services for family members who are considered dependents according to IRS rules. They do not need to be covered by your insurance plan.

What happens if I use my FSA to pay for an item or service that was already covered by another source?
This practice, known as “double-dipping,” could have serious tax implications and/or result in the revocation of your health funding arrangement. By using your FSA, you are agreeing that you have not been and will not be reimbursed from any other source for those expenses. If you are covered by another form of insurance, please let us know by completing a Coordination of Benefits form.

How do I submit an expense for reimbursement?
You may download a form here, complete it, and mail it to:
CDPHN, P.O. Box 6130, Albany, NY 12206-1057.

Or, submit your form online by logging into the secure member site.

What supporting documentation do I need to submit with my claim form?
Your supporting documentation must include:

  • Name of provider
  • Date of service/date product was purchased
  • Type of service/product (drug name required for prescription claims)
  • Your out-of-pocket expense for the service/product (amount not otherwise reimbursed)
  • Name of employee or dependent for whom the service/product was provided

Do I need to send original documentation with my reimbursement request form?
No. Copies of statements, bills, or receipts are sufficient.

Where can I learn more?
Log in to the secure member site to learn more about your HRA. Learn about the features available once you are logged in  by downloading our guide Accessing Your Funding Account in the Secure Portal. If you have questions that you can’t resolve by reviewing the resources online, don’t hesitate to call the CDPHP Health Funding Department at (518) 641-3770 or 1-877-793-3960.